“Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them,

and they that are great exercise authority upon them.

But it shall not be so among you:

but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto,

but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:25-28, KJV)


The word the Athenians used for their Assembly was Ekklesia, the same word used in the New Testament for Church
(and it is the greatest philological irony in all of Western history that this word,
which connoted equal participation in all deliberation by all members,
came to designate a kind of self-perpetuating, self-protective Spartan gerousia -
which would have seemed patent nonsense to Greek-speaking Christians of New Testament times,
who believed themselves to be equal members of their Assembly.)

- Thomas Cahill, Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter




ΦΙΛΟΤΙΜΟ: THE GREEK SECRET


Sunday, April 25, 2010

Concern Grows Within the Community

Moderator's Note: We have received permission from Mr. Deneris to publish his letter of concern for our community; it was originally e-mailed to Nick J. Colessides.


Dear Nick,


I’m not sure you know who I am, but I am a member of the community, and a lifelong friend of Chris Gamvroulas’ (and Pete’s family in general). Chris sent me this email chain and the attached letters. I don’t profess to know the details of this situation, nor the motivations of all the players that seem to be involved. I do know a pile of half-truths and lies when I see one though, and to question the integrity of Chris and the others named in this letter is precisely that. It seems clear to me that this is the latest tactic in the power struggle with the Archdiocese over the HCF, and one more attempt to eliminate it. Unfortunately, the Metropolitan has resorted to extreme language and tactics, and seemingly based on inaccurate assumptions and partial facts. Whatever the reasons and motivations, accusing the people named in the letter of “robbery” is over the top. We have truly gone astray when we attack our own this way, especially when everyone knows where the money is, it’s all accounted for, and legally, it’s where the trustees wanted it to be!


I don’t’ know what I can do to help, but I wanted to send you a note letting you know I am disgusted by the excommunication language, the accusations of theft, and the outright attack on the characters of some of the most dedicated and service oriented people in our community. If you see a way for me to help clear their names, let me know.


Sincerely,


Charles Deneris

No comments: