- They're not concerned about their DEMONSTRABLE incompetence in overseeing the affairs of the church these past few years.
- They're not concerned as to how many (or how often!) of the current UPRs they themselves have violated.
- They have had no compunction in recently thumbing their noses at Archbishop Demetrios' kind and wise solution to what is admittedly a difficult situation. Grudgingly, the SELECTED PARISH COUNCIL is ostensibly, FINALLY adhering to Archbishop Demetrios' request that a SINGLE stewardship form be made available.
- The latest form replaces the ridiculous blue/yellow separated church stewardship forms and supposedly reflects the united community that we LEGALLY are - yet the most important part is MISSING - the LEGAL name of the community!
- For EIGHT WEEKS now, our SELECTED Parish Council, using the excuse of following the Metropolis' (but not the Holy Synod's) directives, has FAILED to provide a normal, standard stewardship form that reflects the LEGAL name of this community - the Greek Orthodox Church of Greater Salt Lake. The proposed current form still does not include the legal name of this community!
Why? Because like trained fighting pitbulls they will NOT let go of their wish for TWO SEPARATE COMMUNITIES. And therefore, their new form does NOT say "Greek Orthodox Church of Greater Salt Lake." It says "HOLY TRINITY CATHEDRAL & PROPHET ELIAS CHURCH" – not the LEGAL NAME of our community.
The contrary is true. Were he to inquire, he might learn that prior to 1974 a general assembly appointed a "Long Range Planning Committee" for our community. It was chaired by Constantine Skedros who served along with 25 parishioners as its members. The Long Range Planning Committee recommended the selection and purchase of a parcel of land, somewhere on the south east/west part of the Salt Lake Valley, where we could build a third church edifice later in the future.
There was no sinister, un-Christian plot - just practical common sense. Only the hyperventilating, pseudo-religious mindset found among some in this current, ill-informed generation - a mindset conspicuously absent in our parents' and grandparents' era – causes some to infer something "sinister" about THE NAME.
Therefore, PLEASE, when signing your stewardship checks, make your checks out to the "GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OF GREATER SALT LAKE" - the correct and legal name of this community.